Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

child of God

With our Potter's House girls today we talked about being a child of God. Knowing & believing it in our deepest places. When the enemy attacks with doubts, lies, confusion. One of the questions asked was how do you see God as your Father? And how does my perception of myself as a child of God effect my behavior, faith, life. These are challenging question to me.

Everyday I watch my kiddos light up when they see a certain blue car pulling in our driveway. Happy squeals and the repetitive question, Mama can we go outside?, fill our house.

Their daddy is home.

And they are so excited. Barefoot babies run and waddle out the front door and into his arms. It is precious. One of my favorite parts of the day. Their daddy is full of life to them. He is safety and fun. He is good and kind. He is strong and in control. He meets their needs and they can't resist his love.

"Now I say, as long as the heir is a child, he does not differ at all from a slave although he is owner of everything, but he is under guardians and managers until the date set by the father. So also we, while we were children, were held in bondage under the elemental things of the world. But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and
if a son, then an heir through God." Galatians 4:1-7

What a difference our Redeemer makes! How do I see my Heavenly Father? Like a slavemaster? Or my Abba, Father? Like I am living in bondage? Or adopted and filled with the Spirit of God? I want to eagerly await Him, run to Him, get excited over Him. I long to believe more daily and turn more and more to my Heavenly Father as my daddy. There is so much life, comfort, joy, hope, and goodness wrapped up in belonging to Him. And praise the Lord that by His grace I do.

I am accepted and I am a child of God. I belong to Him. As we've been studying who we are in Christ I keep coming back to that word. Belong. I love it. This song has been playing in my house for a few months now and every time I hear it I am reminded that I no longer belong to the world, but to Christ. Because I have seen the Lord and by His love my heart has been fixed with Him.

Song: I have seen the Lord by Matthew Smith, Watch the Rising Day

Let worldly minds the world pursue, what are its charms to me?
Once I admired its trifles too, but grace has set me free
Its pleasures now no longer please, no more content afford
Far from my heart be joys like these now I have seen the Lord

As by the light of opening day the stars are all concealed
So earthly pleasures fade away when Jesus is revealed
Creatures no more divide my choice, I bid you all depart
His name and love and gracious Word have fixed my roving heart

I could bold and highlight all the words of this song because I love love it. It plays often in our car and Madeline decided it was her favorite song because she knows I like it! That makes me love it even more. :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY for the song!! :) In fact, it's possible I was singing it earlier today--thanks for refocusing me on the words. ECB