Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

words of life: sin traps

As said, I am reading through a chapter of proverbs a day with Andrew & Ren.  I have gone back to proverbs 7 several times already and had a great conversation with Ren about it the other day.  She mentioned she wasn't really sure what to take from it because it mostly refers to lust & adultery.  I know that the overall proverb is regarding adultery but it surely does apply to sin as a whole and how it works in our lives.

"All at once he followed her like an ox going to the slaughter, like a deer stepping into a noose till an arrow pierces his liver, like a bird darting into a snare, little knowing it will cost him his life.  Now then, my sons, listen to me; pay attention to what I say.  Do not let your heart turn to her ways or stray into her paths.  many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng.  Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death." 
Proverbs 7:22-27

God definitely used these verses to bring conviction into my life and also gave me & Ren an opportunity to look at sin traps in our own lives & how we slowly and easily slide down into them, little knowing the price we will pay.  Sin sits before us, beckoning us to follow.  Lighting up the path at the most opportune time, the time we are the most vulnerable.  Comforting us along the way, we follow and walk.  We pay little attention or give very little thought to what is actually happening.  Instead of seeking wisdom, we do nothing at all, except slip.  Straight into a death trap.  Whether we are sliding into lies, adultery, materialism, relationships, pride, gossip, secrecy, it doesn't matter.  The trap is the same and only the grave awaits.  The answer lies in paying attention.  Stay awake & alert.  Seek God and seek to know the truth versus the trap.  Pay attention and be intentional.  Don't walk a path because it is before you.  Choose to walk the path you trust that is placed before you by God.  And that only comes from knowing Him.  And examining myself against His words & His ways and removing the sins that I am already trapped in and setting up whatever boundaries I need to avoid the ones I am walking toward.  How can I make my heart steadfast in all this?

"My son, keep my words and store up my commands within you.  Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.  Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.  Say to wisdom, 'You are my sister,' and to insight, ' You are my relative.' They will keep you from the adulterous woman, from the wayward woman with her seductive words." Proverbs 7:1-5 


No comments: