Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

words of life: wisdom

James 3:13-17
"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.  But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.

Wisdom comes from a MIND disciplined to stay on the character of God.  Arrogance prevents me from submitting myself (my fears, insecurities, anxieties & struggles) to God's wisdom and denies His Sovereignty, power, and true promises from working in my life.  This is following earthly wisdom and not heavenly.  So many (if not all) of my struggles originate in not believing God is who He says He is and His promises to me are true.  When I stumble into earthly wisdom directing me I fall into the traps of selfishness, fear, envy, anxiety, and so much more.  In doing so, I am saying God is not enough, His grace is not sufficient for me, His truths do not remain true for me.  I see the hope in the Scripture above...remove myself and welcome in peace that reaps a harvest of righteousness.  That is what I really want.  I life that humbly walks in the wisdom of God, discarding what the world and others throw at me, say about me, make me feel about myself, and the lies I fall into believing about myself.  I hate those things and when I catch myself going there I desperately want to cling to the wisdom of God that leads me only toward more of Him and less of me.  


No comments: