Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Washed with Tears

"But he said to me,“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

“Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow" Isaiah 1:18

A Sinful Woman Anoints Jesus, taken from Mark 14, Luke 7, John 12
from the Jesus Storybook Bible
"The woman knelt down before Jesus like he was a king. She held Jesus' feet in her hands and started to cry. Her tears fell onto Jesus' feet, washing them. She kissed his feet and dried them with her long, dark hair. And then she did something strange. She broke the jar and poured the perfume all over his feet. Jesus looked at the woman, and he smiled. This woman had anointed Jesus--not with oil, but with her tears. The Important People were cross. They thought Jesus should not be kind to this woman. "That woman is a sinner!" they grumbled. "This woman knows she's a sinner," Jesus told them. "She knows she"ll never be good enough. She knows she needs me to rescue her. That's why she loves me so much. "You look down on this woman because you don't look up to God. She is sinful on the outside--but you are sinful on the inside." Jesus turned to the woman and smiled. "Your sins are forgiven," he said. "You trusted me. And God has rescued you!"

Twice in this story Jesus looked at the woman and smiled. What a beautiful picture. I read this story and immediately think of myself like the woman. But the reality is I am one of the Important People. If asked in any context outside of the "christian bubble," I would never say I want to be identified as weak, poor, sinful, broken. It's too humiliating, too ugly. Too true. Weakness is a word to be feared in our world. Not to be desired. Yet over & over we see it esteemed in Scripture. Not weakness as the world sees, but weakness as defined by Christ. Weakness that brings me humbly to my knees in tears as I worship the One who has rescued & redeemed me from the sin that consumes my insides. Weakness that calls me to boast because through it Christ's power rests in me and causes me to be strong. Weakness that draws me to giving up my greatest treasure because of the One I am loved by. As my husband reminds me, Jesus cannot ignore a humble heart. In light of Easter, in light of the sacrifice of Jesus, I pray for weakness, I pray for humility, I pray for a deep yearning to have Him increase and me decrease.

Again, I am included a favorite hymn...because the words speak to the desires of my heart. To be found in Him alone.

Rock of Ages
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Love the post...the Lord is really teaching me a lot about that right now...How His grace is sufficient for me. Thanks for sharing your heart!