Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

why I get so mad at my garage door

We have lived in our home for over three years now.  We try to live fairly simply, not focus on our "stuff" or invest in things that don't matter.  That statement, along with the fact that we 1. aren't handy, and 2. have 8 people in our home and therefore no time to focus on much else, are what generally dictate what gets worked on in our house and what doesn't.  Back to the point, which is, our garage door has been mostly broken for a long, long time.  We have a one car garage so this really only matters to me, the one whose van gets the garage spot.  In order to open or shut the garage door one must push the button, wait while it opens a bit and then stops, push it again, wait while it lowers a bit and madly push the button over and over in hopes that it will raise.  If not, just try again.  And again.  People, it's cold outside, there is ice on the driveway, I have four kids, a wheelchair, blah, blah, blah...  I've been annoyed, to say the least.    

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure children of God, in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe, holding out the word of life." Philippians 2:14-16

Bam.  Sometimes those little verses you say to your children throughout the day smack you right back in the face.  I know we all know we should not complain.  But have you ever tried this?  Once Andrew & I attempted to see if we could make it an entire day without a complaint pouring forth from our lips.  I won't say if we succeeded or not, you just try it for yourself.  

So here I am, frustrated beyond words over a garage door.  Whining, complaining, whining, complaining.  And I see no reason I shouldn't.  It is after all, fairly significant to my life.  Can't it just work properly?  

What an overwhelmingly discouraging reflection of my heart!  I claim contentment with my life: our belongings, my mama job, my status before others.  Yet all it takes is something small to wedge its little way into my heart and mind and all contentment is lost.  Replaced with complaints, comparisons, insecurities.  

You want to know the crazy thing?  All it took was a can of WD-40 and a little time and the door was working smoothly again.  

What is the WD-40 for my heart?  

The battle in my heart is in the little things.  It's in the morning when I wake up and choose to spend time in the Word.  Or in the shower when I spend 5 minutes in prayer.  It's while I am cooking and reading with the kids and listening to worship music in the background.  These are the moments that prepare me for the battles.  So that when I could lose my patience, I don't.  When I want to hold back forgiveness, but instead I give it.  When I need to say I'm sorry and I do.  

Jesus.  He is how I grease my squeaky, broken heart.  

Time with Him, transformed by Him, walking with Him.  

What in your heart needs some greasing?  Will you let Him in? 

No comments: